This is the same recipe used in the cafe
Roasted Tomato Basil Soup With Caramelized Onions
You will need:
5 lbs of Vine ripened tomatoes or roma tomatoes
10 cloves of raw garlic
4 lbs of yellow onions
Butter, 3 T
Bay leaves, 3 pieces
Fresh Basil 2 bunches
Dried Basil, 2 T
1 cup of whipping cream
Chicken stock or vegetable stock, 1/2 gallon
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Wash & Core & quarter tomatoes
- peel and slice onions
- Place tomatoes, onions and garlic on sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil or other good quality vegetable oil
- Sprinkle Salt (sea salt or kosher is preferable) & Fresh cracked black pepper
- Place in oven and cook for about 15-20 minutes or until lightly charred
- Separately, reduce 1.5 cups of good red wine in a saucepot
- when reduced, add tomato onion mixture to wine reduction
- Add vegetable stock or chicken stock
- Simmer to combine, about 10 minutes
- Add fresh basil, without stems and dried basil and simmer about 10 minutes
- Add cream and butter. Simmer to bind. If no cream is added, you may use toasted, crustless white bread (2 slices). if wanting gluten friendly, you will have to reduce soup to thicken or use arrowroot with water to form a slurry
- Use a beurre mixer or blender (caution using a blender. add small amounts and cover with a cloth and loosely with a blender top to prevent contents from going everywhere.
- When soup is smooth, strain through a sieve and press remaining contents with flexible spatula or spoon back to a clean saucepot
- Add bay leaves and simmer for 10 minutes and remove
- Adjust taste with salt and freshly cracked black pepper.
- If too thick, adjust with stock or water and whisk in to emulsify.
- If you're feeling a little fancy serve with seasoned and fried basil.
- Take a leaf or two of fresh basil and submerge and fry for about a minute. Drain on paper towels and season with salt and pepper. Place on top of soup and serve immediately.